John has completed the Child Welfare & Protection in Sport Awareness Training Courses. A central goal for all those involved in sport for young people is to provide a safe, positive and nurturing environment where children can develop and enhance their physical and social skills. Promoting a child-centred environment should go hand-in-hand with identifying and eliminating practices that impact negatively on safe and enjoyable participation in sport for young people.
The training enables Children’s Officers/Sports Leaders to:
• Implement best practice in protecting the welfare of participants
• Create a child-centred environment within the sports club
• List categories of abuse and some indicators associated with abuse
• Make appropriate response to a disclosure
• Make a report to designated officer or appropriate Statutory Authorities